Monday, November 27, 2006

The Tooth Fairy

Working in an elementary school, and having daily conversations with youth, I find immense amounts of joy sharing in their excitement and bewilderment for life. The story below is a TRUE story about a boy who had some very serious questions to ask me. -Kiran

Last Thursday as I was walking down the hall to my office with my good buddy Darrin (who is 7 years old) I could tell that he was worried about something. I thought it would be best to leave him alone for a couple of minutes to gather his thoughts. Out of the blew Darrin turns to me, with a very concerned look on his face and says "Mrs. K can I ask you a question"? I turned my head sideways and said "Sure Darrin. What's on your mind?" "Well, I was wondering... the tooth fairy is going to visit me... but I have cavities. Will the tooth fairy still want my tooth? I mean does she care if there are cavities?" Darrin looked so serious as he waited for me to respond. We both stopped walking. I took a deep breath and crouched on the floor so I could be at the same eye level as Darrin. I looked at him and said Darrin the tooth fairy loves teeth. She will just be happy that you have one for her!" This put a smile on Darrin's face. So I stood up and we continued on our journey down the hallway past the kindergarten classes. After a few moments Darrin looked up at me and said "Cavities are bad. Do you think the tooth fairy will pay me less because it isn't as good as a regular tooth?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness that is hilarious Kiran. Mrs. K too. awwwww!